Golf is a sport that requires you to correct and change things with almost every shot in search of the perfect shot. These are tips for better golf swing power that can make your swing look like that of a pro.
Greater distance off the tee is always a desire of every amateur playing the sport. Amateurs go to great length to hit the ball 20, 10, or even 5 yards farther. They will buy new drivers, new golf balls, new anything!
Now if an amateurs clubhead speed is somewhere around 85 mph, how is that clubhead speed going to improve with a new driver or new ball? The answer is it will not.
So many things come into the perfect shot that for one person to master them all can take a lifetime so we all need to take and find advice where we can.
Reading can never take the place of playing a round or two but when you are unable to get to the course then learning is the next best thing. One such golf guide to read is Creating a Perfect, Consistent Golf Swing.
Here’s a question to all golfers out there. If the pros look like they are making this simple movement, why are you twisting up in circles and swinging out of your shoes on every shot?
It makes sense to me that if the best players in the world have a simple, easy movement, you should be trying to copy what they are doing.
Unfortunately, as much as you want this simple, easy swing, you can’t do it. Why? Because simple…is difficult.
Here are a few tips for better golf swing power which in tern will improve your game.
1. As a amature golfer your mind affects your swing, in that it is telling you that the farther you swing back, the farther you will hit the ball. It’s also saying that the harder you hit the ball, the farther it will go. Both of these thoughts involve your arms and hitting the ball hard. Unfortunately, you are only so strong.
If golf was a purely a strength game, every body builder would also be a professional golfer.
Plus, if you are looking at a golfer who is swaying on his downswing then you are really looking at an average golfer. Your hips should move in a slightly lateral movement and start the club down, the right arm needs to be tighter into the body, all this should remove the swaying on your downswing and increase your power.
The feeling of hitting the ball hard must be eliminated from your swing as well as the long backswing. This is because harder you try to hit the ball, the tighter your wrists will become.
If your wrists tighten, the club will actually swing slower and the clubface may be held open at impact causing you to spin the ball to the right.
In order to understand the proper feeling you should have in your wrists, think of them like a hinge on a door.
The hinge on a door is loose and free flowing. There is no resistance.
If you keep your wrists as loose as a hinge on a door, you will allow the club to whip faster and square up through impact. This whipping action is what gives a pro tremendous clubhead speed with what looks like an effortless swing.
2. Stop flipping your hands it is an annoying and bad habit that you will need to stop if you are going to take full advantage of the stored energy, keep your hands cocked you get a nice bit of lag.
3. One problem that golfers slip into are having their hands too high at the finish, this undoes a lot of good work from your good stance, robs you of power and produces a week finish. You need to allow your body to come through naturally have your hips rotated over your left leg and allow your right heal to come off the ground.
4. If you understand how your shoulders turn then it might get you thinking about it when you take your shot and the proper shoulder turn can improve power and accuracy in your golf game.
If you are thinking that it is the length of your back swing that gives you the power you are wrong.
You are after a stretch in your backswing, as this will create a coil effect. The power then comes on the downswing when you release that entire muscle coil that you have created.
Now that you understand that you don’t have to have a long backswing to generate power, how far should you go back? One very important tip is, that once your shoulder rotation stops, so should the club.
You want the shoulder rotation to determine your backswing length instead of your club still going back long after the shoulders have stopped. At first, this shorter backswing will feel like you don’t have a lot of power.
This will feel like it will be more difficult to do, but as you get used to it you will notice something new!
You will soon see your shots fly just as far, if not farther, with half the backswing.
5. If your chin is going to rest on your chin when you are addressing the ball you are never going to be able to swing your left arm across your body during the backswing.
If the natural path is blocked then you must find another way around to complete the swing and this will cause you to make other mistakes like little or no weight shift to your right hand side this in turn causes a narrow backswing.
You will then chop through the ball rather than sweeping through it, do just one simple mistake can cause all those problems, and at least it is a simple one to cure.
6. Impact indicator this is a great product that you spray onto your golf club head that lets you see where the ball and club are meeting, then you can adjust your stance and swing until you are constantly able to find the sweet spot.
7. Now I know you will be shaking your head at this topic because you know for a fact that if you move less it can’t possibly more strenuous right? Wrong! Moving less in the golf swing is more strenuous because moving less creates a tighter, more coiled up swing.
To understand what this means, think about your backswing.
Imagine turning your shoulders back while resisting the lower body rotation. If you did, you would feel very tightly coiled because your hips would move approximately half that of the shoulders.
This tight, coiling in the backswing will allow your body to uncoil quickly in the downswing.
Think of it like a spring. If you coil up a spring, it will snap back very quickly. Now imagine if you were to turn your shoulders back but this time you lifted your left heel and turned your hips excessively.
If you did, you would move more than if you resisted with your hips and you would not develop this tight, wound up, feeling.
If you are not tightly coiled, you will not uncoil properly thus causing you to use your arms to hit the ball.
So turning back more is actually less strenuous because by turning more, you don’t get the same tight wound up feeling you get when you resist your hip rotation in the backswing.
8. If you are pushing your tee too far into the ground causing the ball to sit low. This can result in you tending to hit the ball to high.
The good news it that this is a simple problem to solve and the improvement to your game is immediate. Raise the tee the so that half the golf ball is over the top of the driver head.
Here’s a re-cap of the main tips for better golf swing power so your swing can look like a pro:
- Shorten up your backswing. When your shoulders stop, so should your club.
- Keep your wrists looser to allow the club to whip faster.
- Convince yourself that swinging easier will hit the ball farther than swinging harder.
- Resist the lower body rotation to create a simple backswing and tighter coil.
The hardest part about having a consistent and effortlessly swing is that it goes against what your brain is thinking. Your brain is thinking that swinging hard equals more power and swinging easy equals less power.
If you think about the pros, they look like they are barley swinging and yet they can hit the ball a long way. So forget about trying to smash it as hard as you can.
Swing control for better golf swing power and you will be amazed at how far you will hit the ball. Even though it doesn’t feel like you are putting any effort into it at all.
To sum it all up.
The most important lesson in golf is to just have fun. The internet is a good source for information on how to play the game.
Secondly, there are many videos available that can teach you everything from improving your swing, to putting. Check out Our Golf Shop for tips on improving your game, and for your golf equipment needs.
Most people give up on the game of golf before they really understand the dynamics of hitting that little ball. Get Creating a Perfect, Consistent Golf Swing to discover the secrets to hitting a golf ball perfectly … every time you swing!
If you enjoy this article 8 Tips For Better Golf Swing Power To Make You More Consistent provided by Our Golf Shop please Like and Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram